In Dancing Designers, children design and construct costumes which they will wear for a final dance performance--all with guidance from world-class professionals!
This class has two exciting components. Over the course of the eleven week program the group collaborates to develop original choreography through story telling and improvisational exercises. Then the group rehearse and perform their original dance piece for friends and family on the final day of class.
The group will also collaborates to create a cohesive costume look for their dance showcase--with each child adding individually designed elements. Guided by professional costume designer, Clare Wasserman, children learn the fundamentals of drawing the human form, basic pattern making, hand stitching, important costume design principles, and more as they work to both design and help to construct their very own costumes.
- Tuesdays from 3:30 to 5:25pm
- at the Manhattan School for Children, 154 W 93rd St. (just off Amsterdam Ave)
- For children in grades 2-4
- Showcase performance (in costume, of course!) on the final day of class, just prior to pick up
- Class Dates: 9/25, 10/2, 10/9, 10/16, 10/23, 10/30, (NO CLASS Election Day Nov 6), 11/13, 11/20, 11/27, 12/4, 12/11
- Needs something to do when school is out on Election Day? Check out our One Great Day, One Great Show! Holiday Camp HERE
*photos by Katherine Harbison